Silken tofu simmered with vegetables in ginger soy broth
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tam West
This is satisfying but light.
- Put 1 litre of water into a wide, deep frying pan and add the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, mirin, carrots, and the button and straw mushrooms.
- Bring to the boil and simmer 10 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and add the noodles.
- Boil until al dente or tender to the bite, drain, place in a heatproof bowl, add the sesame oil and toss. Cover and reserve.
- Add the beans to the carrot mixture and simmer for 1 minute.
- Stir in the cornflour mixture to lightly thicken the mix.
- Add the tofu and spinach leaves, mix carefully but well and simmer 2-3 minutes. Taste and season with salt.
- Serve the tofu on the warm noodles with chilli bean sauce on the side.
More hearty vegetarian meals from Ray