Berlin potato and lentil soup
Photo by Tam West
This is a thick soup of lentils, carrot, onion, garlic, dried mushrooms, celery, potatoes, vegetable stock, parsley, served with sour cream, spring onions and lemon zest. I cooked with some home cooks a few years ago in Berlin and they made a soup like this. It is a meal.
|200 g||Lentils, brown or green, rinsed and drained|
|3 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1½ Ltr||Vegetable stock|
|1 large||Onion, finely chopped|
|600 g||Agria potatoes, peeled, cut in 3cm chunks|
|300 g||Carrots, peeled, diced in 2cm chunks|
|1 stick||Celery, thinly sliced|
|20 g||Dried mushrooms, French or Italian, cut into smaller pieces|
|3 Tbsp||Tomato paste|
|200 g||Sour cream, beaten smooth|
|2||Spring onions, thinly sliced|
|1 large||Lemon, zest only|
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.
- Add the lentils and boil for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain well, place in a heatproof bowl, add the oil and mix well. Reserve.
- Place the stock, onion, potatoes, carrots, celery and mushrooms into a large saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer, skimming occasionally, for 15 minutes or until everything is tender.
- Add the lentils and tomato paste and mix well. Simmer a further 5 minutes, taste and season.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of spring onions and lemon zest.
More hearty vegetarian meals from Ray