Beef and mushroom stir-fry
Photo by Annabel Langbein Media
Mushrooms are always a great addition to a stir-fry and the oyster sauce in this recipe really brings out their flavour. Using dried shiitake mushrooms as well gives an even more flavoursome umami result.
For the stir-fry
|350 g||Beef stir-fry|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh ginger, finely grated|
|1 tsp||Sesame oil|
|2 Tbsp||Neutral oil|
|300 g||Mixed mushrooms, fresh, sliced|
|2||Spring onions, finely chopped, green ends reserved for garnish|
|2||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|2 cups||Chicken stock, or water|
|3 Tbsp||Oyster sauce|
|20 g||Shiitake mushrooms, dried, sliced; optional|
|3 heads||Bok choy, coarsely chopped|
- Place beef stir-fry in a bowl and mix through ginger, sugar and sesame oil. Leave to stand while you prepare other ingredients.
- In a large wok or heavy pot heat 1 Tbsp neutral oil and fry fresh mushrooms, spring onion whites and garlic over medium heat until mushrooms are softened (5-6 minutes). Stir cornflour into a little of the chicken stock or water, then add to pan with the remaining chicken stock or water and the oyster sauce. Stir to combine then bring to a simmer.
- Mix in dried mushrooms, if using, and bok choy, cover and cook until bok choy has turned bright green and wilted (about 3 minutes).
- While vegetables cook, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp neutral oil in a heavy-based frypan. Season beef with salt and pepper and stir-fry in two batches over high heat until just browned (about 1 minute per batch). Add to vegetables with noodles and toss to combine.
- Serve at once, garnished with reserved spring onion greens, coriander leaves and black sesame seeds.
More delicious mushroom recipes from Annabel
Essential Annabel Langbein (Annabel Langbein Media, $65) is a beautiful compendium of Annabel’s best-ever savoury recipes and cooking tips. On sale now at Paper Plus, Whitcoulls, The Warehouse and all good bookstores. Follow Annabel on Facebook or Instagram or visit annabel-langbein.com.