Real chicken noodle soup
( SERVES 8 )
Break the egg noodles into smaller pieces, if preferred.
For the stock
|1.3 kgs||Chicken, cut into portions|
|2||Celery stalks, peeled and diced|
|2||Carrots, peeled and diced|
|2||Onions, peeled and diced|
|2||Parsnips, peeled and diced|
|1 small bunch||Parsley|
|2 tsp||Black peppercorns|
|2 tsp||Flaky sea salt|
For the soup
- Place the chicken in a large saucepan or stockpot. Add the vegetables, herbs and seasonings. Cover with cold water by about 5cm.
- Bring to the boil on high heat then reduce the heat until the soup is just bubbling. Cook, uncovered, for 1½ hours or until the chicken is very tender. Cool then refrigerate to solidify the fat.
- Skim the fat off into a small bowl. Remove the chicken to another bowl. Simmer the stock for 20 minutes to concentrate the flavour. Strain through a sieve.
- When ready to serve the soup, remove the chicken from the bones and shred.
- Heat the chicken fat or oil in a large saucepan. Sauté the leek and diced carrots, until softened. Add the stock, seasonings and egg noodles. Simmer until the veggies and noodles are soft. Add the chicken, season and heat through. Garnish with herbs.
More warming soups from Jan