Haloumi and Israeli couscous salad
Photo by Babiche Martens
Couscous is a wonderful base for a salad, so when it comes to clearing out the fridge team it with what you find: tomatoes, celery, olives, herbs . . . To make it more substantial add fried halloumi, sliced steak or chicken breast. To dress it up for guests add some chopped artichokes and green olives. Don’t forget a squeeze of fresh lime.
|2 cups||Israeli couscous|
|2 sticks||Celery, sliced thinly|
|½||Red onion, sliced|
|½ cup||Black olive|
|1 cup||Basil leaves|
|¼ cup||Chopped dill|
|200 g||Haloumi cheese, sliced|
For the dressing
- Cook the couscous as per packet instructions, then cool.
- To make the dressing in a jar combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, honey and garlic.
- In a large bowl combine the couscous, tomatoes, celery, onion, olives, basil and dill.
- Heat a frying pan to a high heat. Cook the halloumi for 30 seconds each side until golden.
- Toss the haloumi through the salad along with the dressing. Serve in a decorative bowl.
More recipes to make the most of your garden