Mulled wine pears
Photo by Annabel Langbein Media
I like to use Bosc pears for these - their tapered shape looks so elegant on the plate. If they don't stand up, just slice a little off the bottom.
- In a pot that will fit the pears snugly upright in a single layer, heat together wine, sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves, vanilla extract and orange zest.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar. Arrange pears upright in the syrup and add enough water so they are fully covered.
- Cover pot with a round of baking paper then place a small plate on top as a weight so the pears stay submerged. Simmer until tender (about 1 hour).
- Leave to cool, then remove pears from syrup and set aside. Simmer syrup over a high heat to reduce it by half.
- Serve pears with a drizzle of syrup accompanied by vanilla icecream or soft whipped cream.
More pear recipes from Annabel
Essential Annabel Langbein (Annabel Langbein Media, $65) is a beautiful compendium of Annabel’s best-ever savoury recipes and cooking tips — on sale at Paper Plus, Whitcoulls, The Warehouse and all good bookstores or visit annabel-langbein.com