Pear and chocolate sponge puddings
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Annabel Langbein Media
Cooked pears topped with a simple chocolate sponge make an easy dessert. For a gluten-free version use the same amount of rice flour instead of regular flour.
- If using fresh pears, heat ½ cup sugar and water in a pot that will fit 6 pear halves in a single layer.
- Add pears, cover and simmer, turning now and then, until tender (about 20 minutes). Dice poached or canned pears, reserving the poaching or canning syrup.
- Preheat oven to 190C fanbake. Divide pears and chocolate between six 1-cup capacity ramekins and spoon 2 Tbsp poaching or canning syrup into each.
- Beat eggs and remaining 2 Tbsp sugar until thick, pale and creamy. Fold in flour, baking powder and spices.
- Divide between ramekins and bake until set and golden (about 12 minutes). Serve with icecream.
More pear recipes from Annabel
Essential Annabel Langbein (Annabel Langbein Media, $65) is a beautiful compendium of Annabel’s best-ever savoury recipes and cooking tips — on sale at Paper Plus, Whitcoulls, The Warehouse and all good bookstores or visit annabel-langbein.com