Spinach and garlic soup
Roasting the garlic turns it soft and sweet. If fresh spinach is unavailable use frozen spinach or finely sliced kale.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Remove the paper-like covering of the garlic bulbs. Slice the top off each head so most of the cloves are exposed. Place on a small sheet of foil, drizzle with the olive oil and wrap up. Place in a small baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the garlic is completely soft. Cool a little.
- Squeeze the garlic into a saucepan. Add the stock and stir well. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach and simmer until wilted. Using a stick blender, purée until smooth. Reheat gently.
- This makes a thin soup suitable to serve as a starter to dinner or as a light meal with crusty bread and cheese.
More garlic based recipes from Jan