Barbecued lemon chicken
Photo by Tam West
- Make a small pocket under the skin of each chicken thigh. Place 1 slice of lemon and 4-5 tarragon leaves inside each.
- Rub the chicken skin with olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and a few chilli flakes. Cover chicken and leave to marinate for 20 minutes, if time allows, before barbecuing.
- Heat the barbecue grill until medium-hot. Place the chicken thighs, skin-side-down on the hot grill and grill for 10 minutes. Turn grill to low, turn chicken over and grill for a further 30 minutes or until cooked and the chicken juices run clear.
- Place the remaining lemon slices on the grill and cook until dark grill lines appear, turning once to grill both sides.
- Serve lemon chicken with steamed green beans and a green salad.
- Use boned chicken thighs, which cook more quickly. Grill for 10-12 minutes on medium-high.
- Jacket potatoes cooked on the barbecue would be great here too.