|170 g||Butter, softened|
|1½ cups||Brown sugar|
|15 tsp||Bicarbonate soda|
|2¼ cups||Plain flour, sifted|
|3 tsp||Baking powder, sifted|
|½ cup||Cocoa powder, sifted|
- Preheat oven to 160 degC.
- Place butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
- Gradually add eggs and beat until well combined.
- Dissolve bicarbonate of soda in milk and add to butter mixture with flour, baking powder and cocoa.
- Beat until just combined. Spoon into a lightly greased 22cm-square cake tin lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool in tin for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 6-8 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Add sugar, cocoa and milk and beat for 6-8 minutes or until fluffy.
- Spread over cooled cake.