Artichoke and mushroom pie
( SERVES 4 )
For extra flavour, add some dried and reconstituted mushrooms eg shiitake and/or porcini.
For the pie
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 medium||Onions, diced|
|390 g||Artichoke hearts, 1 can, drained and quartered|
|390 g||Mixed mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced|
|1||Garlic clove, crushed|
|1 Tbsp||Thyme leaves|
|400 g||Shortcrust pastry|
For the glaze
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat half the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Sauté the onions until softened and lightly golden. Place in a bowl with the artichoke hearts. Season.
- Heat the remaining oil and pan-fry the mushrooms until soft. Add the garlic and thyme. Cook for 1 minute. Season. Cool.
- Roll the pastry into a rough circle about 35cm in diameter. Place on a greased oven tray.
- Pile the onions and artichokes in the centre of the pastry leaving a 10cm boarder around the outside edge. Pile the mushrooms on top. Bring the edges of the pastry over the filling.
- Lightly whisk the egg and water and brush over the pastry. Bake for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden and crisp. Great sprinkled with chopped parsley and served with sour cream.
More mushroom recipes from Jan