Sticky chicken drumsticks
Photo by Rachael Hale McKenna
Get the whole family into the kitchen to help make Vanessa Baxter's child-friendly drumsticks and healthy zoodle salad. They are good served with fluffy garlic and ginger rice.
For more from Vanessa and details of her children's cooking classes, see her website.
For the chicken drumsticks
- Mix soy, Worcestershire, chilli and oyster sauces with sesame oil, honey and garlic in a large ziplock bag or a glass dish.
- Slice through the drumstick skin in diagonal slashes. Add the chicken to the marinade and really work the marinade into the chicken. Leave the chicken in the marinade overnight or for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 200C.
- Line a baking dish with baking paper. Take the chicken out of the bag or dish and arrange the legs on the baking paper in a single layer.
- Place the tray into the oven and cook for 15 minutes. Remove carefully and, using tongs, turn the chicken legs over. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes to cook.
- These look and taste delicious if sprinkled with black sesame seeds and scattered with coriander leaves.
For the zoodle salad
- Use any number of vegetables to create a delicious raw-style salad. You will need to use a spiraliser or a julienne peeler or a mandolin to create long skinny strips of the vegetables. Courgette, cucumber, carrot, thinly sliced red cabbage, capsicum and red onion is a great combination, but play with whatever you find in the vege box of your fridge (if it’s not limp and sad).
- Dress the salad with options such as balsamic vinegar and olive oil; lime juice and peanut oil; rice vinegar, sesame oil, olive oil, garlic and chilli.
More easy family recipes from Vanessa