Photo by Babiche Martens
The flavour of plums becomes more intense as they bubble away in the pot for this dessert plum jelly. (Once you have drained all the juice for the jelly, store the plums in the fridge to eat with your muesli or icecream.) When it comes to the jelly, be sure to check the sweetness — you may need to add a little extra sugar.
- Into a large pot place the plums, sugar and first measure of water. Slowly bring to a simmer for 10-15 minutes. Mash with a fork until most of the juice is extracted and they are mushy.
- Place the plums into a sieve over a large bowl. Leave for 2 or 3 hours for all the juice to drip through.
- Sprinkle the gelatine over the 1⁄4 cup water and allow to sit for a few minutes. Microwave for 30 second until clear.
- Put the plum juice into a pot and heat through, then stir through the gelatine. Pour it into 4 glasses or ramekins and place in the fridge overnight to set.
- Use some of the drained plums for garnish, keeping the remainder for other uses.