Sticky orange drumsticks
Photo by Dean Purcell
This recipe is adapted from food journal Lucky Peach.
|1 Tbsp||Orange zest|
|2 Tbsp||Soy sauce|
|2 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|2 Tbsp||Rice wine vinegar, or white wine vinegar|
|2 cm||Fresh ginger, peeled and grated|
|2||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|1 tsp||Sesame oil|
|1 tsp||Chilli flakes|
|1 kg||Chicken drumsticks, free-range and organic|
|1 pinch||Flaky sea salt, a generous one|
|2 Tbsp||Neutral oil|
|2 Tbsp||Sesame seeds, to garnish|
|1 bowl||Cooked rice, for serving|
|1 bowl||Green vegetable, steamed to serve|
- To make the marinade, whisk together in a large bowl the orange juice (leave 2 Tbsp aside for later), zest, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and chilli flakes. Whisk until the brown sugar dissolves, and set aside.
- Sprinkle the flaky sea salt over the chicken. Heat a large frying pan with the neutral cooking oil to a medium-high heat, and brown the chicken for about 4-5 minutes (you may need to do this in two batches).
- Get all the chicken in the pan, and add half the marinade. Bring the sauce to a simmer, then reduce to a medium heat and cook for about 10 minutes. Turn the drumsticks over about halfway through.
- Mix the remaining 2 Tbsp orange juice with the cornflour, add to the remaining marinade, then add to the chicken. Coat the chicken with the sauce and cook until the sauce thickens, about another 7-8 minutes (can leave here for a few minutes on a low heat until ready to serve).
- To serve, sprinkle over sesame seeds.
More chicken recipes from Delaney