Neil's Kiwi dip
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot. Add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Gently fry over low to medium heat (without allowing it to colour) until the pan is dry and onions are starting to catch. Stir often.
- Add the butter and continue cooking until the same thing happens again.
- Meanwhile, reduce the cream over medium heat to a quarter of its original volume, nice and thick. Do not burn! A heavy based, wide pan is best for this as the cream will evaporate more quickly.
- Taste the onions for seasoning and make sure they are completely soft.
- Blitz the onions in a blender then add the reduced cream and quickly blitz to emulsify.
- Check for seasoning — the mixture should be a thick, smooth consistency of tasty yumminess.