Paella with clams
I used Omega Clams available in vacuum packs in supermarkets.
|1 kg||Clams, in their shells|
|2 cups||Fish stock, choose a good quality one|
|1 pinch||Saffron threads, a good-sized one|
|1 large||Green capsicum|
|1 large||Red capsicum|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|3||Garlic cloves, diced|
|1½ cups||Long grain rice|
|2 large||Roma tomatoes, diced|
|2||Chorizo sausages, thinly sliced|
- Drain the clams reserving 1 cup of the liquid.
- Combine the liquid with the stock and bring to the boil. Pour 2-3 tablespoons into a bowl and add the saffron. Infuse for at least 5 minutes.
- Seed and dice the capsicums and chilli.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the shallots and sauté over low heat, until softened. Add the garlic and capsicums. Sprinkle the rice in and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Bring the stock to the boil again and add to the pan together with the saffron mixture and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 12 minutes, until the rice has absorbed most of the stock.
- Add the clams, chorizo and seasonings. Cover and heat through.
More Kiwi seafood recipes from Jan