Saffron-poached tamarillos with vanilla bean custard
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Cut a cross on the pointed end of each tamarillo. Cover with boiling water and leave while preparing the poaching liquid.
- Put the sugar, water, saffron and star anise into a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- When the skins can be peeled easily from the fruit, do so then drop them into the poaching liquid and let gently simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the liquid.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and let reduce for 5 minutes before spooning over the fruit. Leftover liquid can be refrigerated and reused.
- To make the custard, bring the milk to a simmer with the scraped vanilla bean seeds. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl until foamy and pale, then whisk in the warm milk.
- Rinse out the saucepan and return the custard mixture to it. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly for approximately 10 minutes until the mixture coats the back of the wooden spoon. Strain into a bowl or jug.