Italian Salami Stuffed Roast Onions
( SERVES 6 )
Quite a decadent wee number this one! This version is inspired from a Nigel Slater recipe but has the delicious addition of Hellers Italian salami to take it to the next level!
|6||White onions, peeled with root intact|
|20 g||Dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in 200mls warm water|
|3||Garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|2||Flat mushrooms, finely chopped|
|8||Heller's Italian Salami, finely chopped|
|8 sprigs||Fresh thyme, 1 tsp finely chopped|
|50 g||Breadcrumbs, coarse|
|100 g||Grated parmesan cheese|
|1 dash||Olive oil|
|1 sprinkle||Sea salt and cracked black pepper|
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- In a large pot cook onions in simmering salted water for 20-25 mins. Drain and cool then cut the top of the onion off a third of the way down and set the lids aside. Remove the root and discard. Gently remove the centre of the onion leaving a good solid outer shell. Roughly chop up half the onion you have removed and set aside, save the rest for another dish.
- For the filling heat the butter in a fry pan and add the garlic for 2 mins then add the reserved chopped onion, mushrooms, Italian salami, tsp of thyme, and drained chopped porcini. Cook for 5 mins then add the porcini liquid and allow it to cook until the liquid has reduced. Season well and set aside in a bowl to cool slightly.
- To filling add ¼ cup cream, 50g parmesan, breadcrumbs and lemon zest. Check the seasoning.
- Gently stuff each onion and place the reserved onion lids on top. Place the stuffed onions into an ovenproof dish, pour 300mls cream and scatter with remaining thyme sprigs.
- Bake in a hot oven for 35 mins then scatter the remaining 50g parmesan over the cream and cook a further 10-15 mins until golden brown.
- This recipe is a delicious side dish with chargrilled steak and fresh greens. Try it alongside roast lemon chicken and crispy roast potatoes…yum yum!!