Almond milk ice-cream
( SERVES 8 )
Currently almond milk is a popular replacement for other dairy-free milks. It is low in fat, has a low glycaemic index and is a good source of calcium. (This recipe is not a true ice cream — there’s no cream!)
- Soak the gelatine in the water in a small bowl, until swollen.
- Place the egg yolks in a bowl with a 1/4 cup of the caster sugar. Beat until creamy and thick.
- Bring the almond milk to the boil. Dissolve the softened gelatine in the hot milk. Slowly pour the milk over the egg yolks, whisking continuously. Stir in the vanilla paste. Chill until almost set.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and remaining sugar until thick and glossy. Fold into the chilled mixture. Pour into a mould and freeze.
- Great served drizzled with a fresh fruit purée.