Warm Kumara & Mussel Salad
A warm kumara and mussel salad is the essence of New Zealand kai.
- Cover the kumara with lightly salted water and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cook until the kumara are tender – about 15 minutes.
- Scrub and beard the mussels, then place in a large pan with half a cup of water. Cover with the lid and bring to a simmer.
- As soon as the mussels have opened, remove from the heat and allow to cool in the saucepan.
- To prepare the dressing, put the lemon juice and zest in a bowl, then mix in the oil. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- To make the salad, remove the mussels from their shells and toss them in a large bowl with a few spoonfuls of their cooking liquid and the kumara, onion and celery.
- Add the parsley and preserved lemon peel, and fold in with the dressing.
- Serve warm or room temperature with crusty bread.