Light as a feather hotcakes
( MAKES 12 )
Photo by Tam West
This favourite at Cafe O never comes off the menu.
For the hotcakes
|¾ cup||Full cream milk|
|1 cup||Plain flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
- Place the egg yolks and milk in bowl and whisk to combine. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and combine.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl and whisk until stiff (about the same consistency as the batter). Fold in 1 tablespoon of the whisked egg white to loosen the mixture, then fold in the remaining egg white.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add ⅓ of the butter and let sizzle. Use a large coating spoon (equivalent to 2 tablespoons) to drop in 4 spoons of batter. Cook until golden and bubbles appear on the top of each hotcake, then turn over and cook on the other side until golden.
- Repeat twice more to use up all the butter and batter mixture.
- Serve hotcakes with maple syrup and fresh fruit. Dust with icing sugar to finish if wished.