Wedges of the cake can be reheated in the microwave. Great served drizzled with pomegranate molasses.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 21cm cake pan with baking paper.
- Cut the peaches into 2cm pieces. Toss with the nutmeg and 2 tablespoons of the sugar. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and remaining sugar with a wooden spoon, until creamy. Add the egg, buttermilk and vanilla essence and stir to combine.
- Combine the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and baking soda. Stir into the butter mixture until smooth. Spoon into the prepared pan. Press the peaches evenly over the top of the batter. Drizzle with the juices and sprinkle with the topping sugar.
- Bake at 180°C for 10 minutes then reduce the temperature to 170°C for about 45 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Serve warm with whipped cream or yoghurt.
More fruity baking from Jan