Barbecued chicken and spicy dipping sauce
( SERVES 4 )
Heavenly. Marinate overnight. This is the type of food I ate on holiday in Thailand. Every morning I walked from the hotel to the amazing food market by the Chiang Mai gate of the old city. Breakfast time, I passed many small vendors selling food. One of them was a couple with a half oil-drum barbecue where they sold barbecued pork with the following marinade. I have used it here for chicken. It is very good.
For the chicken
For the sauce
To make the chicken
- Put the salt, coriander root, sugar, garlic, pepper, coconut milk and soy sauce into a small food processor and process until smooth.
- Put the chicken into a large mixing bowl and add the coconut milk mixture. Mix well and marinate overnight, or for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Thread each piece of chicken on to a soaked skewer, shaking off any excess marinade.
- Barbecue or pan-fry over moderate heat until well browned and cooked through.
- Serve with cucumber and tomatoes and the following dipping sauce.
To make the sauce
- Put everything into a small bowl and mix well so the sugar dissolves.
More Thai-inspired recipes from Ray