Chinese barbecue pork
- Cut the pork in half lengthwise. Combine the remaining ingredients in a plastic bag. Add the pork and move it around so it is well coated. Seal the bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the pork and when it reaches room temperature, grill on medium heat for about 15 minutes or until cooked, turning occasionally and basting with the marinade. Cover and stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Delicious ‘as is’ or use in the Classic Pork Fried Rice recipe (below).
Classic pork fried rice (Serves 4)
In general, 1½ cups of raw rice will provide about 5 cups of cooked rice.
Rice seasoning: 1 Tbsp hot water, 1 tsp each: honey, sesame oil, Shaoxing wine, 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
Omelette: 2 eggs, 2 Tbsp water, 2 tsp canola oil
Rice: 5 cups cooked Jasmine rice, 1 Tbsp canola oil, 1 medium onion, diced, 500g Chinese BBQ pork, cut into strips or 2cm cubes, 1 cup mung bean sprouts, 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Combine the ingredient for the rice seasoning and set aside.
- To make the omelette, whisk the eggs and water, until combined. Heat the oil in a medium frying pan and add the egg. Swirl to coat the pan. Cook until set. Remove from the pan. Roll up then slice into 1cm widths.
- Fluff the cooked rice with a fork. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Sauté the onion, until softened. Add the pork then stir in the rice. Mix well. Stir-fry until hot.
- Add the rice seasoning mixture stirring with a spoon to ensure all the rice is coated. Add the egg, bean sprouts and spring onions.
More Chinese New Year recipes from Jan