Photo by Tam West
A truly simple and very tasty vegetable curry recipe from Shailesh Naidu, Executive Chef at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort.
- Peel the pumpkin and cut into 2cm slices then into about 1cm dice.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan until hot. Add the mustard and cumin seeds and cook for 30 seconds. Add the curry leaves and sliced onion. Lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes until the onions are soft and golden. Stir from time to time to prevent sticking. Add the garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the dry chillies and pumpkin and toss. Cover and cook until the pumpkin is soft, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste.
- Before serving, add the chopped coriander leaves and a good squeeze of lime juice.
- Serve pumpkin curry with a barbecued butterflied leg of lamb or chicken.
Kathy's tip: Fresh curry leaves are available alongside other fresh herbs in the greengrocery department of supermarkets, Asian or Indian food stores or speciality food stores.
More Fijian recipes from Kathy