Angus Burgers with Blue Cheese Relish and Home made Pickled Onions
( SERVES 4 )
|4||Heller's Angus burgers|
|¼||Iceberg lettuce, sliced thinly|
|½ Tbsp||Coriander seeds|
Blue cheese relish
- Start by pickling the red onions. Cut your onions in half through the root and then slice very thinly again flat side down [a mandolin does the job in no time]. Spread the onions out over a large flat tray and sprinkle evenly with salt to extract the bitter juices, leave for 30 mins.
- Wipe down onions between 2 clean tea towels to remove the excess salt and bitterness – place into a large deep container.
- Place into a medium sized pot the rice wine vinegar, boiling water, caster sugar, star anise, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods and coriander seeds. Bring gently to the boil to allow the sugar to dissolve but don’t allow it to reduce. Set aside so the flavours can infuse for 20 mins.
- Then reheat the pickle liquid gently as it needs to be hot as you pour it over the onions, they will immediately turn a delightful bright pink. Infuse for 10 mins then transfer to a container ready for use, this recipe makes just a little more than needed.
- To make the blue cheese relish place the cream cheese into a bowl and using a wooden spoon smash it up till it’s smooth. Crumble in the blue cheese; add the mango chutney and spring onions. Mix well together + place in a container ready for use.
- Cook your Hellers Angus burgers over a medium-high flame on the bbq or in a fry pan till thoroughly cooked, turn often to prevent burning.
- To assemble cut the burger buns in half horizontally and lightly toast the cut side under the grill.
- Spread the bottom bun with blue cheese relish and top with iceberg lettuce, a Hellers Angus burger and a layer of homemade pickles. Spread the top bun with more blue cheese relish and place on top.