Sticky Ginger Sausage Rolls With Chilli Jam
A kiwi favourite, a crowd pleaser and a lunch box staple for many a hard working person! The humble sausage roll has been loaded with big bold flavours and served up with an addictive chilli jam… it’ll have them fighting for the last one!
|850 g||Peeled italian plum tomatoe, chopped|
|6 cloves||Garlic, peeled and smashed with back of knife|
|350 g||Granulated white sugar|
|2 tsp||Chilli flakes|
Sausage meat filling
|6||Heller's Sticky Ginger Beef sausages, casings removed|
|0||Red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)|
|2||Finely chopped spring onion|
|½ small handful||Fresh mint, roughly chopped|
|½ small handful||Chopped fresh coriander|
FOR THE CHILLI JAM
- This chilli jam is really easy and simple to make. Pour all the ingredients into a saucepan and dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil then allow it to simmer till it has changed into a deep dark red colour and has a jam like consistency.
- Using a hand wand or food processor blitz the jam keeping it slightly chunky. Store the jam in an airtight container in the fridge if you plan on eating it over a few days, otherwise pour into sterilised jars and store as you would for jam.
- Preheat the fan oven to 220C.
- Into the bowl with the Hellers Sticky Ginger Beef sausage meat add the red chilli, spring onions and fresh mint and coriander. Using wet clean hands mix together well.
- Take the sheet of puff pastry and place the sausage meat along it like a long sausage, leaving an inch of pastry from the edge closest to you. Brush the pastry on the other side of the sausage meat with the beaten egg.
- Gently fold the edge over and secure it by firmly pushing down with your fingers to seal and trim off any excess pastry. Gently roll them over so the join is on the bottom. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cut into the desired lengths and place them on a lined baking tray. Bake 20-25 mins till golden and puffy. Serve them up with lots of delicious chilli jam. They can be kept in the fridge or frozen for further use.