Awesome Angus Burgers With Caramelised Whiskey Onions & Cheddar Cheese
( SERVES 4 )
|4||Heller's Angus burgers|
|4 slices||Cheddar cheese|
|4 small handfuls||Rocket leaves|
Caramelised whiskey onions
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- To make the caramelised whiskey onions, line a large baking tray with baking paper. Generously drizzle the olive oil all over the baking paper and then ‘season’ it with oregano, thyme, sea salt and cracked pepper.
- Cut white onions in half through the root end leaving the skins on and place flesh side down onto seasoned baking paper – give the flesh side a quick rub around in the seasoned oil.
- Bake the onions till they are soft and golden. Remove the skins while warm, slice lengthways into quarters and place into a heavy based pan over medium-high heat. Add the butter and bring to a gentle simmer for 10 mins stirring often. Deglaze with the whiskey and simmer a further 5-10 mins until the onions start to caramelise. Check the seasoning and then cover with tinfoil to keep warm.
- Cook your Hellers Angus burgers over a medium-high flame on the bbq or in a fry pan till thoroughly cooked, turn often to prevent burning. Place them into a roasting tray and cover each burger pattie with a generous slice of hand cut cheddar. Set aside in a low oven for a few minutes to allow the cheddar to soften slightly.
- To assemble cut good quality burger buns in half horizontally and lightly toast the cut side under the grill.
- On the bottom bun start with the caramelised whiskey onions then a Hellers Angus burger topped with cheddar, a few rocket leaves then a few more whisky onions. Spread good quality mayonnaise generously onto the top bun and place on top.