Pickled (marinated) mussels
( MAKES 3 medium jars )
Photo by Tam West
These pickled mussels bring variety to the usual picnic menu. Transport them in glass jars and remember forks and napkins.
- In a large pot, heat wine, peppercorns and garlic cloves. Add fresh mussels and steam, tossing often, until they open and are just cooked. Strain and reserve cooking liquor, reserve the garlic and peppercorns and remove mussels from shells.
- Finely slice fennel and fronds into a bowl and toss with the lemon zest and juice, the mussels and strained cooking liquor. Portion evenly into sealable jars, adding a garlic clove or 3 and a few peppercorns as you go. Top up with cider vinegar and close jars.
- Refrigerate for 48 hours before eating.
More of Warren's spring picnic recipes
- Chilled asparagus soup
- Spring sangria
- Candied nut clusters
- Pork, apple and sage sausage rolls
- Submarine sandwich
- Brown rice salad
- Were Bros chocolate cookies