Gooey chocolate milk caramel fudge slice
( MAKES 20-24 pieces )
Photo by Tam West
Sweat treats are a very useful gift. Another great idea is to gather together the dry ingredients and a jar of dulce de leche and package up as a Christmas gift.
|6 large||Medjool dates, pitted|
|¾ cup||Raw almonds|
|½ cup||Shredded coconut|
|50 g||Butter, melted, or use coconut oil|
Filling and topping
- Line a 20cm x 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the dates, almonds and coconut in a food processor and process until the dates and almonds are roughly chopped. Add the butter and process until the mixture comes together. Press mixture into the prepared tin, cover and place in the fridge to firm, about 30 minutes.
- Remove tin from the fridge and spread the dulce de leche over the base, cover and return to the fridge.
- Place the chocolate, rum and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water (making sure the water doesn’t touch the bowl), and melt. Remove from the heat and allow the chocolate to cool a little.
- Remove fudge from the fridge and spread a layer of cooled chocolate over the dulce de leche. Crush and sprinkle over the freeze-dried mandarins, if using. Using a sharp knife mark out squares of the fudge (this will help you cut through the chocolate once it has set).
- Cover and place in the fridge before cutting into squares. Place fudge slice in an airtight container and keep the fridge. Serve pieces straight from the fridge.
More festive recipes from Kathy