Photo by Annabel Langbein Media
Jar salads, like this one, keep in the fridge for two or three days and are a perfect make-ahead portable meal. Start with the dressing in the bottom, then layer in wholegrains or pulses, some kind of protein and loads of vegetables, keeping crunchy and fragile ingredients like nuts and salad leaves on the top. When you're ready to eat, turn it out into a bowl, toss and enjoy.
You can use about 2 cups of chopped, leftover roasted veges instead of the pumpkin in this Middle Eastern-inspired salad. One of my favourite timesaving tricks is to roast a big tray of veges at the weekend to add to salads and couscous for weekday lunches and sides.
|350 g||Pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and diced|
|1 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 cup||Chickpeas, cooked, or lentils|
|100 g||Feta, coarsely crumbled|
|1 handful||Baby spinach|
|1 sprinkle||Mint leaves, or dill|
Lemony tahini dressing
- Preheat oven to 180C fanbake and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Toss pumpkin in oil, salt and pepper, spread out on the tray and roast until golden and soft (about 20 minutes). Allow to cool a little.
- While pumpkin cooks, make Lemony Tahini Dressing by shaking together all ingredients in a small jar to combine. Transfer dressing to a large jar or divide between two medium jars.
- Layer in chickpeas or lentils, pumpkin, feta, spinach, pistachios and herbs then screw on the lid.
- To serve, invert into one or two large bowls and toss gently.
More make-ahead salads from Annabel