Creamy Cheddar, Smoked Chicken and Tarragon Pies
Santa Rosa suggests
If you can get passed the calorie count on these totally delectable, amazing little hits of eating pleasure then you can be rest assured that you are going to be totally satisfied!!
|600 g||Santa Rosa Shredded Chicken|
|12 sheets||Puff pastry|
|2||Finely chopped spring onion|
|200 g||Corn kernels|
|¼ cup||Fresh tarragon|
|¼ cup||Fresh chives|
|¼ cup||Fresh italian parsley, chopped|
|100 g||Aged smoked cheddar, grated|
- Butter to grease the muffin tins. Preheat oven 200C.
- Start by making the cheese sauce [You can make this a day ahead and keep it in the fridge ready for use]. In a large pot allow the butter to just begin foaming over medium heat then add the flour. Cook the flour for several minutes then carefully add the warm milk a ladle at a time. Make sure you whisk well between each ladle of milk so that it becomes a smooth paste before adding another ladle. Repeat this process until all the milk is whisked in – discard the bay leaves. Allow the sauce to gently simmer for 5-8 mins allowing it to thicken. Take it off the heat and stir in all 3 cheeses and season to taste. This can now be covered with greaseproof paper to stop it forming a skin and set aside to cool slightly.
- Grease the muffin tins and cut out the pie bottoms making sure they go right to the top and slightly over – you can always trim off the excess. Cut out the lids but leave to one side till the pies have been filled.
- To finish the filling stir the smoked chicken, spring onions, corn and fresh herbs through the cheese sauce thoroughly. Check the seasoning.
- Ladle the filling into each pastry case filling it almost to the top and finish with a small handful of smoked cheddar pushed down into the filling slightly. Brush around the rim with the beaten egg and place the lid on securing around the edge with your fingers. Brush the lids with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. It’s fun to get the kids to make their initials or a shape out of the leftover pastry to place on top.
- Bake for approx. 25-35 mins or until the pastry is golden and the filling is starting to bubble out of any little cracks around the edge.
- Sesame seeds to garnish