Bitter chocolate tart
( MAKES 30cm tart )
For those times when you really do want a sweet treat, Nick Honeyman’s sugar-free bitter chocolate tart will do the trick. Read what nutritionist Mikki Williden has to say about lowering your sugar intake and about the different types of sugar here.
- Heat oven to 150C. Grease a 30cm diameter flan tin or circle cake mould.
- Grind hazelnuts in a food processor until they are a fine crumb.
- Reserve 20g of the nuts for decoration. Melt the butter and 50g of the chocolate together and combine with the remaining hazelnuts.
- Press into the prepared tin and set aside for 10 minutes.
- For filling, pour milk and cream into a pot. Rinse pot first with water — a thin layer of water will help prevent milk mixture from sticking when it comes to the boil. Once at the boil, pour over chocolate and whisk well, until melted.
- Allow to cool, then whisk in an egg until mixture thickens. Pour into tart base and bake for 15 minutes until set.
- To serve, finish with a dusting of the remaining hazelnuts. Cut into slices and eat warm or at room temperature.