Figgy nut cake with lemon syrup
An excellent dessert or afternoon treat.
|¾ cup||Chopped walnuts, preferably NZ grown|
|1 cup||Dried figs, finely chopped|
|1¾ cups||Self raising flour|
|1 large||Lemon, finely grated rind|
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly grease a 21cm round cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Combine the walnuts and figs in a bowl together with the flour.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light. Add the lemon rind, eggs and milk. Add the flour mixture and mix well. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- To prepare the syrup, heat all the ingredients together until the sugar has dissolved. Pour over the hot cake. Remove the cake from the pan when cold.