( MAKES 6 cups )
Photo by Jan Bilton
I used Alison’s Pantry mixed nuts from the bulk bin aisle of my local supermarket.
|3 cups||Mixed nuts, eg. almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, brazil nuts|
|⅔ cup||Desiccated coconut|
|⅔ cup||Mixed fruit, eg. cranberries, apricots, pitted dates|
|½ cup||Pumpkin seeds|
|2 Tbsp||Liquid honey|
|2 Tbsp||Maple syrup|
|1 Tbsp||Vanilla essence|
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Place 2½ cups of the nuts in a food processor together with the coconut and dried fruit. Pulse until the mixture is chopped into medium-sized pieces. Some will be finer but that’s okay. Place in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining whole nuts and the remaining ingredients. Large brazil nuts may need to be chopped. Mix well.
- Line a large baking pan with baking paper. Add the mixture and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes — until dark golden brown.
- Cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.