Potato and roast shallot salad
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tam West
Perlas are an excellent new-season small potato perfect for use in this spring salad. The fresh herbaceous creamy mayonnaise balanced with the unique bitterness found in radicchio is a great combination with the potatoes. Roasting the shallots in a sealed foil envelope keeps all the flavours locked in and provides sweetness.
If Perlas are not available, any small variety will work well. The potatoes can be cooked a day in advance.
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 piece||Fresh rosemary, a small one|
|600 g||Perla's potatoes|
Handmade herb mayonnaise
- Peel shallots and cut into thirds, place on a sheet of foil, add squashed garlic with the skin on and rosemary, drizzle with olive oil and season lightly with salt. Fold foil over and seal edges to make an envelope. Roast in the oven at 180C for 25 minutes.
- Simmer potatoes in a large pot of salted water until tender (20-25 minutes). Cool under running cold water for a few minutes, then drain well.
- For the mayonnaise, whisk the yolks with lemon juice and mustard in a bowl to combine. Gradually add both the oils in a thin stream, whisking continuously until thick and fully combined. Stir in lemon zest and fresh herbs. Any leftover mayonnaise can be kept in the fridge for up to a week.
- Slice potatoes in half, season with salt and freshly ground white pepper, add herb mayonnaise and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Serve on a large platter, scatter with roast shallots, decorate with pieces of torn radicchio and sprinkle with extra sliced chives
More Spring salads from Geoff