Ginger ginger loaf
Photo by Tam West
This is a recipe we used to have as kids, and my mum still bakes it at home. If you’re not a huge ginger fan, substitute cinnamon for the ground ginger, and decorate with walnuts.
|120 g||Brown sugar|
|170 g||Golden syrup|
|¼ tsp||Baking soda|
|1 tsp||Ground ginger|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
- Heat oven to 150C, line a loaf tin with a sheet of baking paper and lightly grease.
- Warm salt, sugar, golden syrup and milk in a small saucepan until dissolved, then stir through the baking soda.
- Gently fold through remaining ingredients. Pour into loaf tin and bake for 45-50 minutes. Insert a skewer or small knife to test whether it is cooked — it should come out clean.
- Allow to cool a little then carefully remove from the tin and place on a cake rack.
- In a small saucepan gently melt the butter and golden syrup, add the icing sugar and ground ginger. Stir to form a smooth icing.
- Spread over the top of the loaf and decorate with crystallised ginger.