|1||Eggplant, large (approx 700-800g), diced|
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|1||Onion, small, peeled and diced|
|3 cloves||Garlic, peeled and finely chopped|
|2||Red chillies, finely chopped. Remove seeds if you prefer less heat|
|2 tsp||Ground turmeric|
|1 cup||Brown sugar|
|¼ cup||Balsamic vinegar|
|½ cup||Red wine|
|1||Freshly ground black pepper, to season|
- Heat the olive oil in a fry pan. Add the eggplant, onion, garlic and ginger.
- Fry gently for 5 minutes or until all ingredients have softened.
- Spoon into a saucepan then add the turmeric, chilli, sugar, vinegar, wine, water, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine then simmer gently for 30-40 minutes or until thick.
- Spoon into sterilised jars and seal. Once opened, this pickle can be refrigerated for 4 weeks.
Makes 2 cups