Beef and beet broth
Photo by Tam West
This Ukrainian borscht comes from the Mamoushka cookbook, by the passionate Olia Hercules.
|600 g||Beef casserole steak, we used shin steak; alternatively use oxtail or short rib|
|1 handful||Parsley stalks|
- First make a stock by simmering the beef, the onion, celery, parsley stalks, and bay leaves in 2 litres of water for 1 hour, skimming as you go. Strain, then return stock and meat to heat.
- Add potato and beetroot, season generously and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat butter and gently fry the finely chopped onion, red capsicum, grated carrots and crushed garlic for 5 minutes until soft. Stir in grated tomatoes and tomato paste and reduce further for another 5 minutes.
- Add all to broth with drained kidney beans and finely shredded cabbage and continue to simmer for 15 minutes until everything is tender and the meat is falling from the bone.
- Serve with dollops of sour cream, whisked with lemon zest and juice, and lots of chopped dill or parsley.
More of Warren's global soups