Vanilla rice pudding
In so many countries, rice is an important staple of people's diets. It is a simple ingredient but relied on by millions. This week we thought we would share some of our favourite ways to enjoy this versatile grain. Rice pudding is something we have eaten since we were children.
- Preheat the oven to 140C. Melt the butter in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the rice and stir to coat. Add the sugar, stirring until dissolved.
- Continue stirring until the rice swells and becomes sticky with sugar. Pour in the milk and keep stirring until there are no lumps. Add the cream and vanilla pod and seeds, and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Give the mixture a final stir and grate at least a third of a nutmeg over the surface.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish and bake for 1-1½ hours.
- Cover with tinfoil if the surface begins to brown.
- Once a thin, shiny layer has formed on the top and the pudding is still slightly wobbly in the middle, it is ready. Remove from the oven and leave to rest.
- Top with the black doris plums to serve.
More rice recipes from Kasey and Karena