Horseradish and bacon bolar
This economical shoulder roast is flavoured with piquant horseradish and the smoky bacon. — the perfect complement for Selaks Prime Red.
|1¼ kgs||Beef, bolar|
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|3½ Tbsp||Horseradish, grated from a jar|
|6 rashers||Streaky bacon, rindless|
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|3 Tbsp||Plain flour|
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Lightly oil a roasting pan just large enough to hold the prepared bolar.
- Wipe the meat dry with paper towels. Rub with the crushed garlic and sprinkle with black pepper. Spread the horseradish evenly over the meat. Overlap the rashers of bacon evenly over the top so the horseradish is covered.
- Place in the roasting pan. Drizzle with the remaining oil. Place the flour in one corner of the pan to brown during cooking.
- Roast for 10 minutes then cover loosely with foil and reduce the temperature to 160C. Continue roasting for 2 hours removing the foil during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Place the meat on a warm serving dish. Cover with foil and rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the wine and stock in the pan. Whisk together with the flour. Simmer, stirring, until thickened. Add a little extra horseradish, if preferred.
More roast meals from Jan