Apple fruit leather (roll-up)
( MAKES 4-6 strips depending on size )
School’s out and summer has gone so it’s time for indoor activities to tear the kids away from their devices. Get them into the kitchen to make fruit leather, also a great way to pack in one of their five a day. It’s low in sugar and a delicious treat they can munch on. You can substitute any seasonal fruit for the apples.
- Prep the fruit by washing, drying, pitting, peeling, coring, chopping and hulling as necessary.
- Heat the oven to the lowest possible setting (about 60–80C).
- Blend the raw prepped fruit in a blender or a food processor until it becomes a puree. Stir in the lemon juice and sugar or honey to your taste (or leave out altogether if you wish).
- Line a large baking tray with baking parchment and spread the puree out evenly until you get a square of about 30cm x 30cm.
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 6-8 hours or until the mixture is not gooey or sticky but just slightly tacky to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely before using a ruler and sharp knife or a pizza cutter to slice into even strips.
- Peel away the parchment and store in an airtight container. Will keep for up to 4 months.