Photo by Babiche Martens
Kasundi is a tomato chutney with cumin, mustard seeds, chilli and turmeric which adds rich Indian flavours. This tomato kasundi will keep for two months. Makes 2 cups.
|50 ml||Vegetable oil|
|3 tsp||Black mustard seeds|
|2 tsp||Ground turmeric|
|3 tsp||Chilli powder|
|2 tsp||Cumin seeds|
|¼ cup||Fresh ginger, (peeled and grated)|
|3 cloves||Garlic, (peeled and crushed)|
|1||Red chilli, (deseeded and finely chopped)|
|2 kgs||Large ripe tomatoes, (blanched, deseeded and chopped)|
|½ cup||Brown sugar|
|½ cup||Cider vinegar|
- Heat the oil then add the mustard seeds, when they begin to pop add the turmeric, cumin and chilli. Cook for a few minutes while stirring.
- Add the ginger, garlic, fresh chilli, tomatoes, sugar, salt and vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Simmer the relish for 1 hour while stirring occasionally.
- The relish is ready when the oil comes out on top.
- Spoon into sterilised jars and refrigerate.