Parsnip rosti with salmon
( SERVES 4 )
Parsnips belong to the carrot family and have been grown in Europe since Roman times. This dish makes an excellent light brunch.
- Combine the shredded parsnips and potatoes in a sieve and press out any liquid. Place in a large bowl. Add the onion, egg and seasonings.
- Heat a little of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Take cups of the mixture and place in piles in the frying pan. Press down gently. Cover for 1 minute. Remove the cover and cook until golden on the base. Turn the rosti over and cook the other side until golden. Place on paper towels to drain. About 4 rosti can be cooked at one time. Repeat until all the mixture has been cooked.
- Divide the salmon into 4 equal portions.
- Place the rosti on four serving plates topped with the salmon.
- Great served with a lemon pickle or Hollandaise Sauce and lemon wedges.
More root vegetable recipes from Jan