Kahawai fishcake salad
Photo by Tam West
This is a Kiwi version of Thai fishcakes, here served in a warm salad with a Southeast Asian-style dressing. Good with a bowl of steamed jasmine rice.
- Put the kahawai, kaffir lime leaf, coconut cream, salt, coriander and ginger into a food processor and puree until smooth. Remove, place in a bowl and stir in the sliced beans.
- Lightly oil your hands and form the mixture into 16 small flattened cakes, about 5cm in diameter. Place side by side on plates and refrigerate.
- Put the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and chilli into a bowl and mix until the sugar dissolves. This is the dressing, reserve.
- Place the onion, tomatoes, and warm whole beans on a serving platter.
- Fry the cakes in vegetable oil, or brush with oil and barbecue, for about 4 minutes on each side until cooked through and browned. Place the hot fishcakes on the salad, spoon the dressing over everything, sprinkle the peanuts on top and serve.
More fish recipes from Ray