Kahawai fishcake salad
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
This is a Kiwi version of Thai fishcakes, here served in a warm salad with a Southeast Asian-style dressing. Good with a bowl of steamed jasmine rice.
- Put the kahawai, kaffir lime leaf, coconut cream, salt, coriander and ginger into a food processor and puree until smooth. Remove, place in a bowl and stir in the sliced beans.
- Lightly oil your hands and form the mixture into 16 small flattened cakes, about 5cm in diameter. Place side by side on plates and refrigerate.
- Put the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and chilli into a bowl and mix until the sugar dissolves. This is the dressing, reserve.
- Place the onion, tomatoes, and warm whole beans on a serving platter.
- Fry the cakes in vegetable oil, or brush with oil and barbecue, for about 4 minutes on each side until cooked through and browned. Place the hot fishcakes on the salad, spoon the dressing over everything, sprinkle the peanuts on top and serve.