Aromatic Asian beef
( SERVES 6 )
Beef and vegetables at their best.
|1½ kgs||Chuck steaks|
|2 Tbsp||Coconut oil|
|1||Red onion, diced|
|3 cloves||Garlic, diced|
|3 Tbsp||Ginger, Finely chopped|
|1 tsp||Chinese five spice|
|3 whole||Star anise|
|8||Baby carrots, use up to 12 depending on preference|
|3 stalks||Celery, cut into 3cm pieces|
|3 Tbsp||Fish sauce|
|400 g||Canned tomatoes, diced in juice|
|½ cup||Beef stock|
|4 cups||Kale leaves, thinly sliced|
|1 Tbsp||Lemon juice|
|1 handful||Chopped coriander, to garnish|
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Cut the steak into 3cm cubes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large heavy casserole suitable for the hob and oven. Working in batches, brown the steak on medium-high heat. Place aside.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger to the casserole and cook, stirring, until golden. Add the five-spice powder, star anise, carrots, celery and fish sauce. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, stock and steak to the casserole and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and place in the oven. Cook for 2 hours, until very tender.
- Discard the star anise. Stir in the kale and lemon juice and cook for a few minutes until the kale wilts.
- Serve in bowls. Garnish with coriander and serve with rice.
More beef recipes from Jan