( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Prawns are a favourite for tempura, but a delicious mix of vegetables is even better. Favourites in our household include broccoli, kumara, pumpkin, beans and carrots. Tempura is best straight from the fryer while it is hot and crisp. A little dipping sauce on the side finishes it off nicely.
|4 cups||Mixed vegetables, cut thinly|
|1 bottle||Oil, for deep frying, enough to fill half a pot|
|80 g||Plain flour|
|200 ml||Sparkling water|
- Combine the dipping sauce ingredients together before you start.
- Have the vegetables cut, dry and ready for cooking.
- Heat a deep fat fryer or heavy based pot half filled with oil to 180C.
- Five minutes before cooking your vegetables, mix the batter. Place the flour, cornflour and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk in the water to form the batter. Do not over-beat, a few small lumps are fine.
- Dip in the vegetables a few at a time. Allow the excess batter to drip off, then place straight in the oil. Cook one piece to start to ensure the oil is the correct temperature.
- Serve hot with the dipping sauce.