Slow-cooked beef rump with fennel and olives
Photo by Tam West
- Wipe excess moisture from the beef with paper towel. Combine the garlic, thyme and rosemary with salt and pepper and rub over the meat.
- Place the vegetables on the base of a slow cooker. Rest the meat on top.
- Add the stock and place the lid on the cooker. Cook for 4-6 hours on high. Sprinkle with gremolata to serve, if wished.
Make a change: Cook in the oven
- Wipe any excess moisture from the meat with paper towel. Combine the garlic, thyme and rosemary with some salt and pepper and rub all over the meat.
- Heat an ovenproof pan over high heat, add 1 Tbsp of oil and sear the meat on all sides. Remove from pan and turn down heat.
- Add another Tbsp oil and gently fry the shallot and carrot for 5 minutes. Add the fennel and stir-fry to combine.
- Add the meat back to the pan with the stock and olives. Bring to the boil, put the lid on the pan and place in a 150C oven for 4-6 hours, until meat pulls apart easily. Top with gremolata to serve, if wished.