Squid braised with anchovies
( SERVES 4 )
To make it tender-as, squid can be cooked in two ways: quickly — for 1-2 minutes; or on low heat for about an hour. This recipe uses the latter method — the flavours are mellow and delish.
- Soak the saffron in the hot water for 30 minutes.
- Cut the squid tubes into 1.5cm rings. Pat dry.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan on medium. Pan-fry the shallot, capsicum, thyme, garlic and anchovies for about 5 minutes. Add the wine. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the saffron and squid. Cover and simmer on low heat for 1 hour. Add a little fish stock if too dry. Add the peas and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Great served with crusty bread to mop up the liquid.