Red quinoa with roasted butternut pumpkin, greens and crispy shallots
Photo by Tam West
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Place the butternut pumpkin pieces in a bowl with 2 Tbsp oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss well, then place in a shallow roasting tray in a single layer. Place in the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- Place the remaining 3 Tbsp olive oil in a bowl with the lemon juice. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the hot butternut pumpkin and toss gently to combine.
- Meanwhile, place the quinoa in a fine sieve and wash well under cold water. Place in a heavy-based saucepan and cover with 2 cups cold water. Place over the heat and bring to the boil, then cover and lower the heat. Simmer quinoa for 20 minutes. Use a fork to fluff up the quinoa and add to the butternut pumpkin.
- Toss through the cooked or wilted greens, taste for seasoning and place in a serving bowl. Top with crispy fried shallots. Serve as a substantial salad or use as a warm salad to accompany roast chicken.
- To cook cavolo nero, remove the tough central stalk from each leaf, and cut each leaf into 3-4 pieces. Cook the leaves in boiling salted water for 10 minutes or until the leaves are tender. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil with 2 cloves crushed garlic in a frying pan. When the garlic has just begun to colour, add the cavolo nero and stir to heat and coat in oil.
- To fry shallots in batches, place the shallot slices in hot oil and fry until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon on to crumpled kitchen paper.